Love of soup
I am a big fan of soup. Any soup really. It is such an easy way to make a quick and healthy meal, it is perfect for using up leftover vegetables and it delicious too. What more can you want?
Take this beauty for example: it is very easy to prepare and to pimp it a bit from your ‘averaga’ sweet potato soup I added some Asian flavors. A bit of fish sauce, some lemon grass and voila dinner is ready.
In terms of photography: This would be classified as a dark photo. I think a lot of people over complicate the dark photo concept. If you take this shot as an example I really didn’t do much other than use a dark background and a dark napkin. It can really be that simple. Another thing I have noticed during our workshop is that it is very easy to think that underexposing your photo will get you a dark result. It doesn’t. It just makes the food look unappetizing. 🙂
This image is shot with backlighting. I was standing in front of our backdoor and used a old iron serving tray. What I like about this tray is that it has a fairly high edge. That means that there is some natural light blocking that occurs which works in this case. (it can be annoying too sometimes!) And that is literally all I did. Because the subject itself is fairly light I didn’t want to underexpose too much.Print
Asian style sweet potato soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 people
- 3 sweet potatoes (approx. 750 gr), in cubes, peeled
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 2 tbsp of coriander stalks, chopped
- 1 ltr (4 cups) of vegetable stock
- 1 tsp grated lemon grass or one stalk, broken in three
- 1 tsp grated galangal
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 100 ml (a little less than 1/2 cup) coconut cream
- peel of 1/2 lime
- coriander leaves to serve
- Take a large souppot and heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and fry until they become translucent. Add the lemon grass, cilantro stalks, galangal and turmeric and bake alongside for a bit.
- Add the sweet potato cubes, the garlic, lime-peel, fishsauce and the stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potato is soft. Remove the limepeel from the soup and if you have used the whole lemongrass stalk remove that as well.Puree the rest of the soup with a stickblender
- Once smooth, add the coconut cream and the lime juice.
- Serve with fresh coriander and a swirl of coconut on top.
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!