A while ago I was watching an episode of Masterchef (does anyone know when the new season of Masterchef Australia will finally start on Dutch tv??) and I saw someone eat a chicken skewer by placing it in a flatbread and taken the pin out in one movement and he had a delicious tortilla filled with chicken. Ofcourse it looked so good, that we had to try that trick ourselves. It had also been quite a while ago that I last made my own tortilla, so about time to rectify that. We were eating outside and the good thing about our plancha is that it is very easy to bake both the tortilla’s and the chicken skewers at the same time.
But first you need a spice rub. This one is based on a recipe I saw in the book TexMex by Jonas Cramby which is a great book and filled with lots of delicious Tex Mex recipes. I used my ‘own’ tortilla recipe but I am planning on trying my hand at the corn tortilla’s at some point. I think I need a real tortilla press for that (because a person can never have enough gadgets right?)
Ths dry rub is super easy to make and you can adept it to whatever spices you have available in your cupboard or to whatever spicyness you like it. This make enough to last you the entire summer. I’m giving you here the ingredients I used but feel free to give it your own twist. It can’t really go massively wrong I would say. I am going to try a few different combinations for sure.
Chicken skewers with Mexican spice rub
Make the tortilla’s according to the recipe here
Mexican Spice Rub
- 4 tbsp paprika powder
- 4 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of anis seeds
- 4 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 400 gr chicken filet
- lamb’s lettuce
- grated carrot
- Make the tortilla’s according to the recipe instructions. Bake them on one side of the plancha or if you don’t have one in a frying pan.
- Make the spicerub by adding all the ingredients together and mixing well. You can keep it in a well sealed jar for quite some time and it should last you all summer long.
- Cut the chicken into chunks, not too small, and mix with about 1 tbsp of the spice rub. Mix it together so all chicken is covered in it but not too thick. Cover the bowl with chicken with a piece of plastic and leave to stand for about two hours to marinate.
- In the meantime soak some wooden skewers in water to make sure they do not burn when you grill them later.
- Add the chicken onto the skewers and grill on the bbq or plancha
- Prepare a tortilla by adding some lettuce to it, some grated carrot and place the cooked chicken skewer on top. Fold over the tortilla and remove the skewer in one movement. Firmly holding the chicken en tortilla while doing that.
- Add some sauce of your choice to it and enjoy!
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!