The first time I tried to create a vegan pannacotta was not really a big succes. in other words; it was a complete fail. What happened is that I treated the agar agar exactly the same way as I would gelatin. The result was a puddle pannacotta. Lol.. Not exactly what I had in mind. I had not looked at how to use agar agar, I just assumed it would be the same. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn’t!
Pannacotta is one of my soft spots when it comes to desserts. I love it. It is so simple to make and you can vary endlessly with what you put it. It’s really not hard changing it into a vegan version that uses way less sugar, although I have to work on the amount of agar agar. If you don’t know what it is: agar agar is a powder substance made from a type of red seaweed. It has a binding power that is way superior to that of gelatin and using it is almost similar to that of gelatin. With the major difference being that you have to cook the agar agar. That’s where I went wrong the first time.
I chose to make a coconut version of this vegan pannacotta and for freshness I added passion fruit on top. It’s made in 5 minutes and requires just a few ingredients. What’s your favorite pannacotta flavor?Print
Delicious vegan coconut pannacotta with passionfruit
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 mins
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 500 ml coconut milk (2 cups. from a can)
- 2 gr agar agar powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardemom
- 1/2 tsp ground fennelseeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3-4 passion fruits
- First mix the agar agar with 1 or 2 tbsp of the coconut milk and stir until it is smooth. Place the coconut milk with the agar agar in a small saucepan. Add the spices and the maple syrup and bring to the boil.
- Leave to boil for about a minute and than pour into your preferred moulds.
- Leave to set in the fridge for about 3 hours
- Scoop the seeds out of the passion fruits and distribute over the pannacotta. Serve right away.
Keywords: vegan, pannacotta, passionfruit, coconut milk
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!