I had some fennel leftover in the fridge and so I was looking for fennel inspiration outside of the one I always turn to when I want a salad with fennel (which is one with courgette and quite good too. Here is the recipe for that too.) So I typed in fennel salad whole30 and my eye was drawn towards the salad originally made by The Grizzly Kitchen and that was posted on the whole30 website. And I made it straight away with some alterations.
The original recipe uses lobster and while I don’t mind spending a few bucks on a salad… a lobster is a) hard to find here and b) insanely expensive so we opted for chicken thigh fillet. We seasoned those with lemon pepper and than baked crispy in coconut oil. How good does that sound?
And if you want to make it yourself here is my version!Print
Fennel and orange salad with chicken
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 people
- Category: Salads
- 350 gram of chicken thigh fillet
- lemon pepper (basically a combination of lemon and pepper together)
- Coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and cut into little chunks
- 1 head fennel, shaved thin
- 2 oranges, segmented, juiced saved
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Reserved juice from citrus
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula
- Start by cutting your chicken in to small pieces and season them with the lemon pepper. I use a prebought spicemix for that without any additives. Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and once hot bake your chicken nice brown and crispy.
- Peel the oranges with a sharp knife removing all of the rind and the white parts of the outside too. Segment the rest above a bowl to catch the juice. Put the segments into another bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the cardamom, the italian herbs, lemon juice, orange juice that you reserved, salt and pepper and combine. Add the olive oil while whisking and the dressing will come together.
- Slice your fennel very thinly or use a mandoline. Combine the fennel, the arugula, the orange segments and the avocado together and mix. Add some of the dressing but not everything yet. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Mix your chicken in the salad and divide across two bowls. Add a little bit more of the dressing and serve the rest on the side.
Keywords: fennel, orange
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!