Brussels Sprouts…. I used to really hate them when I was a kid. I didn’t just think they were not good, I thought they were little balls of stinking snot… Yuck… So when Tom told me – we must have been living together for a couple of years at that time – that he really liked Brussels sprouts I looked at him pitiful. ‘Seriously?? You like them?? Well don’t expect me to ever cook them for you!’ That was more or less my response. But ok, I knew by than that my mum just wasn’t the best of cooks and there were a couple of other things I didn’t like growing up that turned out to be surprisingly good once made differently. (like kale for instance)
So when I saw a recipe featuring Brussels Sprouts at some point in a mash together with some other veggies I figured it would be a safe dish to give those little snot balls another try. And so it happened; and they were ok. Not world changing or anything but just ok. Ok enough to let go of my sprouts phobia just a little bit, but not as much that I would be buying them on my own free will all of a sudden. And that remained like that for a while until – well until I made this dish really.
Because wow… how good is this!! By roasting them they get a completely different flavor than the taste I’ve been used to growing up. This is good. Really really good. And the hazelnuts and bacon go together really well too. I roasted the Brussels sprouts in some garlic oil and a little bit of lemon oil. It’s a crime to ever cook these darlings again!Print
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon and hazelnuts
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Sidedish
- Method: Oven
- 500 gram Brussels sprouts (go for the smaller ones)
- 150 gram bacon, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp garlic oil
- 1 onion, cut roughly
- 75 gram hazelnuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of lemon oil
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Clean the Brussels Sprouts and cut them in half or in quarters if they’re big. Put into a large baking tray so they don’t crowd each other.
- Add the slices of bacon and onion. Mix together.
- Add the garlic oil and the lemon oil and stir everything through so all sprouts are covered with a big of oil.
- Add salt and pepper and put into the preheated oven. Stir it all halfway through the baking time.
- As soon as they are done (try one of them to make sure) put into a serving tray and sprinkle with the roasted hazelnuts.
Keywords: brussels sprouts, hazelnuts, bacon
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!