Slowcooker with prunes
The original recipe for this easy slowcooker dish with beef and prunes had a lot of molasse in it as well as beer. Now the beer works well here but if you don’t want any gluten leave it out. I removed the molasses from the recipe as it made the whole thing way too sweet. The prunes itself take care of a little bit of sweetness here and that is more than enough for me. The dish works really well with mashed cauliflower puree but then without the bacon crumble.
Slowcooker : Stew with prunes and cinnamon
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 people
- Category: Slowcooker
- Method: Slowcooker
- 1 kg beef stew
- 250 gr prunes
- 5-7 dl (2-3 cups) beef stock
- 1 tsp seasalt flakes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- Cut the beef into cubes and put into your slow cooker. Add the prunes and mix with your hands
- Pour the stock into a measuring cup of 1 liter and add a bit of salt.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, turn on the slow cooker on low and leave to stand for 8 hours. You should be able to separate the meat easily with a fork.
- Turn the slow cooker off and taste if it needs extra salt and pepper.
- You can eat it straight away but the taste becomes even better after one or two days in the fridge.
If you want to add extra flavor into the beef bake it first before putting in the slow cooker. Just heat some coconut oil and bake the beef till it has a nice brown outside. Than place in the slow cooker. It works without doing that as well so if you have less time go for the easy option
Keywords: prunes, beef
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!