Warm asparagus salad
Asparagus is one of those vegetables that are really versatile. While everyone always seems to go wild over the white ones, I love the green ones better. Not only because they are easier to prepare (less peeling required) but I also think the flavour is superior.
Take this delicious and simple salad for instance. It’s not complicated and is bursting with delicious flavours. It’s a little on the light side if you want to eat this for dinner, so add some potatoes to it or a piece of meat to give it more body or just use it as a fresh spring salad for lunch. It is also whole30 approved so perfect to change things up during your whole30.Print
Warm asparagus salad with bacon, egg and hazelnuts
- Yield: 6 people
- Category: salads
- Method: cooking
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 3 eggs
- 500g asparagus, about 30 medium spears
- 50g hazelnuts, toasted and crushed
- 3 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp smooth French mustard
- Heat grill to High and cook the bacon for 5 mins until crisp, then snip with scissors into pieces. Set aside. Cook the eggs in boiling water for 5 mins, drain them and rinse under cold water to stop the boiling process.
- Make the dressing: whisk all ingredients together with seasoning. Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the base of each spear – it’ll break at the tender point.
- Just before serving, put the nuts and bacon into a warm oven. Halve the eggs and season. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil; cook the asparagus for about 5 mins, until just tender. Drain, then divide between plates. Add egg halves, sprinkle with nuts and bacon, then drizzle with dressing in a zigzag pattern.
Keywords: asparagus, bacon, hazelnuts, whole30
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!