Breakfast from the slowcooker
I have a great fondness for my slowcooker. It is the most underused piece of equipment in our kitchen. Under used because it is such a handy tool to prepare easy dishes for breakfast such as this one or to prepare a meal in the morning and come home to something that is already cooked and ready to go. And I don’t use it often enough. I will be sharing more whole30 approved slow cooker recipes soon, as I have quite a few still in my archive… 🙂 But this one is for an easy and filling breakfast.
Be aware though that it does contain quite a few nuts so don’t go overboard here as it is filling and calorie dense. You won’t be able to eat a big bowl of this anyway. It will fill you up very quickly. It’s not overly sweet as the only sweetness added is the pumpkin and the banana. The original recipe had dates instead of banana. Choose whatever you prefer. It will keep in the fridge for a few days.
I used fruit,coconut and chia here for the topping but I think it would also be delicious with something crunchy. I wouldn’t add more nuts on top. That would be overkill, but maybe something like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Just to vary it around.
Whole30 breakfast: pumpkin almond bowl
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 20 hours
- Yield: 8 portions
- Category: Breakfast
- 150 gr raw nuts (soak them for 12 hours with a bit of sea salt)
- 150 gr almond flour
- 1 pumpkin, in cubes
- 2 apples, in cubes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 banana
- 375 ml almond milk (1,5 cup)
- grated coconut
- chia seeds
- Rinse the soaked nuts and place in the food processor. Grind them until resembling crumbs
- Add the pumpkin, the nuts, almond flour, spices and the almond milk to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Mash them with a potato masher once done before serving.
- Divide over bowls and add the toppings of your choice.
Keywords: pumpkin, nuts, apple
Never want to miss another real food recipe?
Sign up for the newsletter and you will receive the occassional email with news from me!